The chimney breast sketchup was edited about 10 times but the engineers were finally able to give us what we wanted- a perfect nook for our hob and a little extra countertop space.
Made-to-fit closets are in in, dressing room is about 70% finished. Paintings, cornices, and fixings to follow.
S/O to my wife for project managing the fine details while I was in Stockholm.
Picture 1: We are reinstating the ceilings to their original height, 3.35 meters (or 11 feet). Georgian townhouses built in the 1800’s are known for their heigh ceilings but during the 1970’s, when many townhouses in London were converted into flats, owners would bring down the ceilings and fill them with insulation to reduce sound. Today, sound proof insulation material is much smaller and compact and does not require sacrificing ceiling height. I tried to capture a photo with one of the builders in it to get a perspective of just how high they are.
Picture 2: The builders uncovered a brick wall (second photo) in the living room that has been covered for around 138 years.
Picture 3: We are opening up the chimney breast in the kitchen, which has proved to be a difficult task since it requires supporting it with a beam so that the chimney does not collapse from the weight. The chimney breast opening will used to create extra space along the kitchen countertop and the hob will be placed inside of it.
No place for anything. Nowhere to sit. Nowhere to eat. Nowhere to get ready. Can’t find any of your shit.
Light at the end of the tunnel…
The oh so beautiful ‘before’ pictures. I do love the floors. But too much creeking, one too many ants, and numerous splinters later – we made the call to rip them out and sell on to be restored.
Kitchen is becoming walk in closet. Bedrooms are becoming joint kitchen/living room. Living room is becoming bedroom. Bathroom getting new walls, more space. All in all, we are switching around all rooms. We have some happy plumbers and electricians with the pleasure of re-wiring cords, and re-locate all pipes. Apologies in advance and best of luck.
T-minus 2 days until demolition.
Radiator families at #castrads
Too many options… after many many minutes of indecisiveness we finally decided on the matte black Churchill’s accompanied by solid brass TRV’s. Radiators – check!